Knowing Your Audience Paper and Communication Release
Resource: â€œOver 30 Workers Trapped After Chilean Copper Mine Collapseâ€ article found in the Electronic Reserve Readings
Research additional articles and information about the Chilean mine collapse.
Write a 900- to 1,050-word paper using this and other articles as a resource.
Split the paper into two parts as follows:
Because communications must be designed with the audience in mind, answer the following questions:
- What are some considerations to remember given the different roles and people in the audience?
- What would be the potential needs of the families of the miners in receiving a message about this incident?
- What would be the potential needs of the companyâ€™s employees when receiving a message about this incident?
- What actions must you take before and after the message is delivered to ensure that it was received as intended?
Draft two communications (approximately 8-10 lines each) from the president of the mining company announcing the accident, using what you have learned about the audience and effective messages.
(1) One communication should be directed to the families of the trapped miners
(2) The other communication as an internal news release to employees in the company.
For both of the above, identify the most appropriate channel: face to-face, e-mail, video, memo, and so on.